Monday, November 1, 2010

New York, I love you.



This is the view of the city from a rooftop in Brooklyn. I know it's blurry. That blurry little strip of green and red is the Empire State Building, which looks much more enormous on the skyline than in this picture. From a rooftop the city feels so big, and you can see the full expanse of buildings and just how many people really live within it. When you're standing there in the heart of Manhattan underneath the high-rises feeling about as tall as pigeon, it somehow feels really small and suffocating.  How can I continuously run into the same people I've known for years, just standing in the street? It's weird how things like that work out. On the other hand, I can also go completely unnoticed, lost in the crowd of commuters who bump into each other's shoulders without so much as an "I'm sorry."  I guess it's a stereotype that New Yorkers are unapologetic and unkind. Maybe we just have somewhere to be, and e-mails to answer, though I doubt any of those things are really as important as we make them out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment